Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring is Coming to My Yard

You may (or may not) remember the sprouts I was all excited about in a post or two a month ago. Well, the sprouts have had another whole month of growing!

Spring Wildflower Sprouts
Clarkia, I believe.

Spring Wildflower Sprouts
And Lupine.

Or maybe you recall this post with the pretty purple flowers (Penstemon 'Margarita BOP'). Well, they have also been having the opportunity to flourish.

Pensetmon 'Margarita BOP'

But, the really exciting part is that the Sticky Monkeyflower is also starting to bloom!

Sticky Monkeyflower

Then there's the surprising part: The Hummingbird Sage sent up flower spikes while I was away.

Hummingbird Sage
In terms of other California Native plants starting to bloom, we also have Pink-Flowering Currant (Ribes sanguieum), the beginnings of California Lilac (Ceanothus of unknown species that came with the house), and the odd California Poppy.

Pink-Flowering Currant California Lilac California Poppy
Who says gardening with California Native plants is boring, dull, bland? Not me.

Of course, I also have other, non-native plants blooming around the yard, but I think I'll let the natives stand out for themselves... at least for now.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I love spring and watching things come to life and bloom. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete