Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sprouts!

What with all the rain we've been having in the last several days, I have been taking some closer looks at the natives bed for sprouts. Score! There are herds of itty-bitty-teeny-tiny sprouts. They are SO tiny that both cotyledons (the baby, non-true leaves) together would not cover the head of a pin. I take it as a good sign.  I also noticed that the lupine seeds are now uncovered of soil, but are swelling nicely.  (Hopefully they'll put a root into the soil before the rain dries up.
Sprouts!)


I note that, when it's raining (or recently stopped) puddles form in the natives bed, but a half-hour after the rain stops, the puddles disappear. I have a downspout at the corner of the house at the center of the top of the bed, so it also gets that extra-added water.

On the other side of the driveway, a previous owner paved over a large area, but nicely put four rectangular holes in the concrete for planting. Three of the four ceanothus plants died the first year I was here and I replaced them with Uva-Ursi plants. Right now the holes are filled with standing water. Earlier they were overflowing with massive quantities of water. They, too, have a downspout uphill from them.

I'm SO happy for all the rain!  I'm not entirely sure about the birds, tho'. I was watching a towhee and a sparrow shopping for groceries on my back lawn earlier. Hop. Peck. Shake! Peck. Hop. Shake! Hop. Peck. Shake! They didn't seem like they were having a lot of fun, not like hopping through the sprinklers in the summer.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. I love spring. Things growing. Looking green and healthy again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's exciting! I hope they'll make it, Lupine seems to be the favorite food of many a critter. I even had a 4-inch pot Lupinus succulentus Rodeo Rose eaten down to almost nothing in two or three days. Slugs? But why do most other things survive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that Lupine seeds are higher in protein, if they're like the seeds of other legumes, and that's why they're extra popular.

    I may have a snail problem there, too. I killed a couple when weeding before seeding. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete