Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Orioles have Returned!

Last evening I took a quick peek out my bedroom window toward the hanging bird bath and saw a beaUtiful male Yellow-Rump Warbler taking a bath. I figured I couldn't get out to the living room to fetch my camera and get back in time to try to shoot him, but I decided to try. When I got back, he was gone. BUT, in his place was a strikingly beautiful, chrome yellow, male Hooded Oriole! Sadly, the orioles are the most skittish of the birds that visit my yard and he fled the scene before I got to the window. A while later a female appeared and disappeared.

I've been meaning to do it for days, but last night I was suddenly motivated to cook up some nectar for the orioles. Now to retrieve the empty feeder and put a freshly cleaned and filled feeder out!

Hopefully I can get a shot of them today.

One of the many nice things about having a bird bath in your yard is the variety of birds it draws in. Last evening, in the space of but a few minutes (as in way less than 5 minutes), I saw male and female Yellow-Rump Warblers, White-Crowned Sparrow, Gold-Crowned Sparrow, American Goldfinch, Lesser Goldfinch, House Finch, Bushtit, Mourning Dove, California Towhee, and Black Phoebe.

2 comments:

  1. I was taking pictures of some lovely blooming ornamental cherries this morning in a park when I realized that the painted ladies were enjoying the blossoms as well. I think I actually got some nice photos. If I ever get a working computer of proper strength again, I'll be able to check 'em out.

    Sigh.

    But I was pretty excited about the butterflies. Didn't have my telephoto lens, but shot on RAW (I think) and one landed on the branch right in front of me, so maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way cool! (on the hopes that you got some good butterfly photos)

    Way bummer! (on the busted computer thang. I feel your pain.)

    I spent the day with out network. It turns out that I had such magnificently glorious line strength that the DSL modem was pretending that there was actual data on the line. Mr. Tech finally arrived just after 6 PM, fixed the wiring at the junction box and replaced the modem. Now I have network again! Hopefully, soon you'll have excellent computage.

    ReplyDelete