Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shoreline Sunday Bird Hike

It's been a long-dang time since I've hiked out at Shoreline (Mountain View) and Palo Alto Baylands. To be specific, I haven't been out there with my camera since March 7th earlier this year.

It's getting to be awfully late into the fall and I was afraid I had missed the migration of the American White Pelicans. As it turns out, I seem to have missed the bulk of the migration, but not the whole thing. These are the guys I went to see.
Pelican Pier

The rest of their friends were out in the slough or gliding in on approach.
On Approach

The American Avocets were out doing a little Synchronized Swimming.
Synchronized Swimming

This Brown Pelican decided that what was good enough for the white pelicans was good enough for him!
Brown Pelican

On the other side of the levee, the Black-Crowned Night Herons were staring at me with the possessed, evil, red eye.
Black-Crowned Night Heron

This solitary avocet apparently had something to say.
Articulate Avocet

As did this Black-Necked Stilt.
Talkative Stilt

These guys didn't want to get involved.
Stilt Bookends

All-in-all, it was a lovely morning. I leave you with the following sentiment:
Bottoms Up!
Bottoms Up

2 comments:

  1. Read in the paper today that mid-November is supposed to be the peak season for migrating birds. Although different varieties undoubtedly peak at different times. Nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, then, possibly I should be making some more trips to Shoreline/Baylands to check that theory! ;-)

    And thanks!

    ReplyDelete