Friday, November 13, 2009

This Morning's Harvest, Tonight's Dinner

For almost a week I've been noticing that the lettuce has been growing cheek-by-jowl and should be harvested in the name of thinning so the remaining plants can have more room to grow.
Lettuce Cheek-By-Jowl

I've also been noticing that the beet greens are growing nice and thick again.
Beet Greens

So this morning I went out with my harvest baskets and had a grand time filling them, first with beet greens to steam...
Beet Greens
and, while I was in the neighborhood, I thinned the scallions to use as chives or green onions.

Then I moved over to the lettuce and pulled several very young heading-type lettuce plants, a couple of loose-leaf lettuce plants, and plucked a few loose-leaf leaves.
Lettuce, Tomatoes, & Carrots
Then I popped over to the row of carrots and thinned out a few more. Lastly, I stopped by the cherry tomato bush to pluck a half-dozen tomatoes for my salad.

All-in-all, quite a nice harvest!


Pretty soon I'll be harvesting spinach, too!
Spinach Progressing

No comments:

Post a Comment