Monday, February 23, 2009

Yet More Sprouts!

Each of the species that have been featured in the sprouting entries (Tidy Tips, Goldfields, Lupines) have continued to sprout still more sproutlets, but as of this morning, we've added California Poppies!  Woohoo!

However, the neighborhood cats have gone berzerk in using that bed as a litter box. HELP!

The sun is gone again, replaced again by rains ranging from brief showers to constant mists. It's not a *lot* of water, but it's ongoing, continuous water with little chance for evaporation. It may not be doing much to fill the reservoirs and percolation ponds, but it's adding slowly to the soil and plants. This we like.

Oh, I keep forgetting to mention the wacky seasonal cycles of a couple of the plants in the Natives Bed. Recall that I planted both a Western Redbud and a Blue Elderberry in that bed last spring (April or May). These are both supposed to be deciduous.

Well, the Elderberry still has not shown any signs that it ever heard of winter or deciduousness. The Redbud finally decided that it was time to shed its leaves (well, most of them) and kinda shut down for the winter. 

But, HEY! All the other little Redbuds out there are starting to re-bud. Mine's just staring at me with bare sticks, no bud-swell, and a very few, *very* tired, leftover leaves. 

I had a talk with the president of our chapter of CNPS about both of these plants (before the Redbud started losing its leaves) and the technical term he used for the two and their wonky cycles was "weirded-out." So, they continue to be weirded-out. Hopefully they'll take hints from all the sprouts around their respective feet.  :-)

4 comments:

  1. Seems to me that I read somewhere that sprinkling ground up chilies over the soil was supposed to discourage cats from digging in your soil. Might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be. I think I also heard citrus peels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. coffee grounds work great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, coffee grounds haven't worked for me. I have them all over the yard (I grind and drip my own), but my yard is relatively overrun with the verdamte katzen.

    ReplyDelete