Saturday, February 7, 2009

Another Morning Hike

I guess I'm just so boring. Another Saturday morning hike at the north end of Shoreline/south end of Baylands.  Ho-hum. Mostly not much new and different going on, but it was a lovely morning. Very "Goldilocks" weather. Not too warm. Not too cool. Not to cloudy. Not too sunny.  Actually, I would have liked a little more sun. But, hey! It was nice out!

I managed to parallel a beginning birding group (I suspect led by an Audubon docent).  the leader had apparently promised them at least 20 species this morning. I'm pretty sure they got all 20.

Among the birds I don't usually see was the Surf Scoter. This duck has a face only a mother scoter could love. It looks like it ran into a wall face-first... repeatedly.


And there were at least a couple of dozen of them!

The other thing I saw that you don't usually get to see: a hummingbird nest with baby hummers at home!



The two little pointy bits poking up at the top are baby bird beaks.  I got another picture of the nest with Mom feeding the younguns, but it's hard to make it all out for the leaves. I didn't want to encroach on her while she was feeding the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment