Friday, February 13, 2009

Weed Seed Bank NOT Fully Depleted

I'm sad to note that weeds are already sprouting (at least a couple already over an inch high) in my Natives Bed. And the soil is now so moist that, to step on it would be unconscionable, destroying the soil structure. I'll worry about pulling one or two weeds later.

In the meanwhile, the verdammt neighborhood cats have been using the bed as a litter box.  (Also my vegetable garden bed.) If anyone has any suggestions for keeping the cats out, I'm open.

But I had a fine time overnight listening to the rain. And it was definitely different (for here) this morning listening to the thunderstorm pass through. It was particularly nice listening to the birds enjoying the aftermath of the storm after the sun came out. I'm happy to see the moist weather continuing. It's still not nearly enough to be able to call the drought broken, but it helps.  

But it also is trying to interfere with plans for getting in a hike this weekend. The weather guy has suggested that there'll be a break between 10 and 2 Saturday, but that kinda leaves out hiking on trails that were dirt and dust a couple of weeks ago cuz they'll be nothing but mucky mud. Sandy, gravelly, rocky trails would be nice.  :-)

My focus of late has been on birds (particularly water fowl), but it's getting to be wildflower time. I hear that the Shooting Stars and a variety of lilies are already out at Henry Coe. I'm looking forward to seeing the Purple Mouse Ears again.


Mimulus douglasii ©Stephanie Fenton 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment