Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's Double! It's Ruffled! It's Amazing!

I was out pulling weeds this morning and I spied a new form among my "mixed" poppies. It seems that every time I look I see a new form among my "mixed" poppies, but this was really-really different. It was double! I haven't seen any "double" poppies. Ever. But wait! There's more! It wasn't just crinkled, it was ruffled! I haven't seen any truly ruffled poppies. At least, not of the California Poppy variety of poppy. You tell me: Is this amazing or what?

Double-Ruffle CA Poppy

Right next to the double-ruffles-and-flourishes poppy was a dainty white poppy, but the backs of the petals are deep pink!

Bi-Color Poppy

The yellow lupines continue to bloom and have quite the backlog of buds just waiting for their opportunity to display their spikes of gold!

Yellow Lupines

Sadly, the blue lupines seem to have come to the end of their bloom cycle, but there is good news. They are putting on LOADS of seeds!

Blue Lupines Going to Seed

Each of those pods seems to be packed with at least a dozen seeds! Guess I'll be collecting lupine seeds for next year.

2 comments: