Monday, January 12, 2009

Wacky, Wild Winter Weather in the West

Oooh! An opportunity for alliteration!

It was just over a week ago that the overnight low was in the mid-twenties and the days were only getting into the low fifties.  Last night's overnight low was only about 60 and it got into the mid-seventies today. 

OK, so it's record-breaking warm. But still!  So, I took the afternoon off and spent it pulling weeds in my California Native Garden.  Lots more to pull, but I got the worst of them.  When I finish the rest, I can sow the CA Native wildflower seeds I bought in the fall.

In the meanwhile, it's SO warm out that the remaining wisteria seed pods are exploding like gun shots out back. Every so often, a fired seed hits the window and makes me jump.  One evening late last summer, my brother was visiting. A seed pod fired its load and one hit the window.  My brother started to dive for the floor, but suddenly looked at me -- lounging back on the sofa -- with great confusion. Then the realization dawned: It was the wisteria shooting at him.  "That was the plant, wasn't it."

"Yep."

No comments:

Post a Comment