Saturday, January 3, 2009

Morning Hike at Shoreline Park

Since this morning was supposed to be clear, I decided last night that I should get up bright and early and go for a hike with my camera.  Well, maybe not bright, but early. 

I got to the park before the sun was up. I was not terribly surprised to see people arriving to go hiking, jogging, bike riding, and all those healthy, early-morning activities.  I was somewhat surprised to see a guy in his car, parked to face the coming sunrise, reading the morning paper.

I had thought to park at the kite lot, but changed my mind at the last minute and parked by the windsurf beach.  From there I hiked to the creek, then followed it out to the bay (well, technically, the former evaporation ponds, but who's counting?).

Then I hiked back up toward Palo Alto Baylands (see earlier posts) taking a few photos along the way. A goodly percentage of the ducks floating out there in the early morning glow were Wigeons.  The males' voice is a whistle, not a quack, and they were all whisper-whistling to each other as I hiked and took their pictures.

I came across all sorts of birds -- hummingbirds, sparrows, crows, and all those ducks -- but was pleased to find a pair of Red-Tailed Hawks hanging out in the tops of the pines in the area.

It's times like these that get me getting up before the sun to run off with my camera!

1 comment: