Friday, March 26, 2010

Camping at Fish Creek Primitive Campground

My brother and I have returned from a two-and-a-half week mostly-camping trip to Southern California, mostly in search of spring wildflowers. You can't imagine my excitement when I read in the Moon camp book where it described the Fish Creek Primitive Campground as having free WiFi! I knew the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (and most all California State Parks) had free WiFi, but spelling out that this primitive site had it made me so happy! That would mean that I could upload and blog on photos almost in real-time. But it was not to be. *sigh*

The campground is fairly primitive.
Camp at Fish Creek
No tables, but they do have fire rings.
Camping at Fish Creek
And they do have fairly clean and sturdy "facilities," but without paper.
How Primitive!
No, not flush toilets as there is no running water.

You may have noticed the blackened pot above. That comes from cooking over a wood fire. "But, steph! I thought you had a propane stove," you say. Well, yes, I do have a propane stove. It was left sitting by the truck where we were loading all the gear. You do what you've gotta do. I can build a fire and cook over one, too.

Lest you think that this is the most boring campground ever, there are some nice views, too.
Rock Behind Fish Creek Camp
These are the rocks behind/south of the camp.
Sunrise at Fish Creek Camp
And the sunrises were lovely. As long as the camp wasn't overrun with yahoos (like it was the first Saturday night), the place was quite serene.

Except when the wind was howling like a banshee.

But the wind was actually welcome that Monday. The rains had started Saturday night and continued all through Sunday and, between the wind and rain, the tent leaked and got some things wet. When the sun came out on Monday (with a high in the 70s), the wind also kicked up. The combination really helped to dry everything out quite quickly. So, it all worked out!

However, all that wind made starting a fire a tad challenging... I highly recommend butane cigar lighters.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I haven't cooked over an open fire in years. I was looking at your pot, remembering smearing soap on pots before putting them over the fire because it made cleaning off the sooty bits SO much easier! But, yeah, stove better. As long as you have fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had thought about the soap smearing, but didn't actually do it. Mostly I just set the sooty pot inside a paper towel-lined larger pot.

    Later I used a small wad of aluminum foil as a scrubbie to get the bulk of the soot off. Soaking the sootiness for even a half-hour in soapy water made a huge difference in clean-ability.

    When I got home, an overnight soak in soapy water and it washed up clean as a whistle.

    ReplyDelete