Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Organic Produce in the News

Organically produced foods are in the news today, but not necessarily in a good light and in a way that's rather misleading.

Apparently, a group of British researchers just published the results of a study that say that organic foods aren't any better than their "conventionally" produced counterparts. But most news reports that I'm looking at (so far) are stating it just that way. 

Farther down in most of the articles they are saying that there are only very minor nutritional differences between "organic" and "conventional" produce. And that's fine. Except. Journalists know that most folks don't get past the first paragraph. And very-damn-few of these articles point out that the study doesn't address the point that the "conventional" produce may contain pesticide residue or other chemical contaminants. And I haven't yet seen an article that mentions the level of damage to the soil, beneficial insect life, and the environment in general that is done when using "conventional" methods.

Mind you, I don't generally buy the "organic" produce at my "local" chain supermarket. I have a hard time justifying the extra cost. On the other hand, I do grow my own produce using "organic" methods -- in part because I have a hard time justifying the extra cost. In this case, I'm talking about the extra cost of buying chemical fertilizers, buying pesticides, and the cost to the environment.

I encourage folks who have the extra budget to support organic growers. I also encourage the use of Farmers' Markets (especially where they call out that the sellers are local farmers and extra especially if they are local organic farmers). And, if you live in an area where there are such things still standing, I encourage the use of local Mom 'n' Pop markets that sell the products of local producers (farmers, bakers, butchers, florists, and so on). While it might be an extra trip or two to visit these places, the quality and the price usually make it well worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment