Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What a difference a day makes

On Monday I blogged about "Garden Blogger's Bloom Day" and had photos of virtually all my flowers including this sunflower.
Sunflower

Sadly, this morning it looks like this.
Sunflower

What're you gonna do? Life goes on. But you might notice a honeybee trolling around the center of the disk. And you might notice that the outer disk flowers are developing seeds quite nicely (as evidenced by the separation between the flowers).

While we're engaging in a little nostalgia vs today's reality, here's a nostalgic look at the street end of my natives bed back in late May.
Yellow Lupine Explosion

And now, not quite two months later, people are using terms like "ratty."
Yellow Lupines All Gone
Not that I blame them. It does look quite ratty out there, but now it's my turn to go out and trim out all the rattiness so that it can have a slight resurgence of growth. And, while I'm at it, I can harvest a bunch of seeds for next year's garden(s) and for friends' gardens.


2 comments:

  1. I don't usually harvest the seeds; I just kind of squeeze out the seed pods when I'm removing the ratty stuff.

    My crisis is lobelia at the moment. SOmething is munching it down to the ground (well---soil in the pots). I put out a lot of the "safe" snail/slug bait a few days ago and bought more at the garden center. It is munched even more! Argh! Do I need stronger bait? Is it somethin gother than snails/slugs eating it? I googled that question (what is eating my lobelia) and it's amazing how many posts popped up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WRT Seed harvesting- I figure that there are WA-A-A-AY too many seeds for the area and I'd like to spread them around a little AND I've been getting requests for seeds. I'm happy to share. Plus, it's kind of amusing to have closed seed pods drying in paper bags where they explode (quietly, but it's still startling).

    WRT Lobelia noshing- I don't recall ever having snails or slugs chewing on lobelia (we're talking the low, blue-flowering bedding plants? not L. cardinalis). What are the other posts telling you? Earwigs? Birds?

    I know that birds like the dry/drying foliage & stems for nesting material. I know that birds regard the foliage on some of my other plants (like sunflowers) as a salad bar.

    ReplyDelete