Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Shelley!

As promised when I started this blog, should Shelley make an appearance, I'd post a photo of her. Well, here ya go!

Shelley on the Move
I found Shelley rampaging around the yard several days ago.  So I brought her into the house for a soak and a scrub and a quickie exam to make sure she's OK. 

In general, she seems quite fine. One of the scutes on her upper carapace seems a trifle scuffed and chipped, but it doesn't look like it's infected or cracked through to the skeletal structure. No eye or ear problems, either. She's plenty active and strong and evidence would seem to indicate that she's been eating quite well.

She's once again out rampaging in the wild and I haven't seen her in several days.

2 comments:

  1. How big is she? (How wide are the boards she's crawling across?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boards are 2 X 6. Her carapace is about 6" fore-to-aft and about 4.5" port to starboard. She's about 2.5" "tall." :-)

    She is, BTW, the same size as when I acquired her about 11 years ago. The kids that gave her (and Mr. T) to me had had her for a number of years and the young lady's mother had had her for a number of years before that -- all without an increase in size.

    This is an average adult size for a 3-toed box turtle.

    ReplyDelete