Monday, May 31, 2010

Summer Veggie Gardening

I haven't been very active in my garden of late, mostly just maintenance -- lawn-mowing because we got so much rain, weed-pulling because we got so much rain, vine- and hedge-hacking because we got so much rain -- but I have started getting some of my summer veggie garden planted.

So far, I have planted:

  • Zucchini -- I planted dark green and yellow, two of each, which are already putting on abundant growth. I planted 4 seeds from last year's seeds and all 4 came up.
  • Tomato -- I have seeded (a little late) some Super Sweet 100 (cherry-type), plus I have a donated Brandywine. The Brandywine is already transplanted into one of those upside-down hanging planters. The SS100 will be transplanted into another style of upside-down hanging planter as soon as it's ready for transplant.
  • Beans -- This year I found a source for pole-type wax beans. These are just like the Kentucky Wonder (green) pole beans except that the pods are yellow (and much easier to find on the stem).
  • Cucumber -- The seeds are a little old (from 2008), so I've sown them rather thickly. But I'll have to be diligent in thinning them out. Last year's harvest of two 6-packs planted in root-knot nematode soil was WAY more than any three people could handle. 

Maybe today I'll get out there and plant some Tall Top Beets for the beet greens this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment