Friday, January 15, 2010

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - 15 January 2010

Yes, it's that time again! And not much blooming out there, but what's there makes my life cheery.  For example, outside my dining room window that white-flowering solanum is blooming nicely and vining wildly. (Sadly, I have a hard time seeing it because all of my "houseplants" that normally live out on the deck are all clustered around the dining room window getting that northern exposure light. It's a jungle out there!)

So, here's the list of what's blooming in my yard today, in the middle of January, in the middle (ish) of California (some photos to follow in a post later today):

  • white-flowering solanum
  • impatiens (quite a few, but not exploding like in summer)
  • jade plant (simply covered!)
  • calendula (many small flowers)
  • rose (several smallish flowers)
  • purple potato plant (just a few flowers)
  • sticky monkeyflower (just a few flowers)
  • super sugarsnap peas (quite a few now that the freezing temps have left)
  • strawberries (quite a few berries coming on along with several new blooms)

I'm not going to include it on the official list, but the paperwhite narcissus that I'm forcing in pots are fully budded-up and about to open... maybe even later today! But, like I said, not much is blooming. The creeping plumbago was frozen almost to the ground and the vining plumbago has given up on blooming for now.

Photos to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment